Dog owners alike experience daily humors that non-dog owners would not appreciate nor understand. Dogs are our best friend and life would not be the same without the shedding, slobber and an occasional ‘refinishing’ of chew marks on the furniture. They lighten the mood when its tense and can read your emotions when all you need is a partner by your side. To all of the ups and downs, dog owners go through much of the same experiences. Leading into…
You Know You’re A Dog Owner When….
- You take a bite out of your dinner and you get dog hair in your mouth, but continue eating.
- You instinctively react when you hear a doorbell on the TV because you know your dogs will start barking.
- When rain is in the forecast, you know that mud and smelly wet dogs are in your future.
- You have more pictures of your dog than your friends and family on your phone.
- You always have someone to talk about your day with and they listen intently.
- You’re instantly happier when you walk into your house to a wagging tail and an excited dog.
- You know what it’s like to be outside at 6am, 9:30pm, and whenever else your dog has to use the bathroom.
- You have children gates…without the children.
- Your car windows are never clean, or are cleaned only with dog slobber.
- You and your dog have a secret language, such as knowing exactly what to do when you say “do your business” while standing in a grass field.
- You go for walks in the rain, snow and wind so your dog can receive their daily exercise.
- You have an Instagram account for your dog and it has more followers than you’ll ever have.
- You consider your dog’s comfort level when looking for a new car.
- Your parents refer to your dog as the “grandkid”.
- You plan your social activities around your dog. “No happy hour tonight, promised Shadow we were going for a run.”
- You feel more comfortable talking about your dog than yourself.
- You’re happier than most people you know. (Dog owners usually are.)
- Your recent search history is looking for places that are “dog friendly”.
- You have more nicknames for your dog than your significant other.
- You spent a big chunk of your day thinking about what your dog is doing at home.
- You stop everything you are doing when you start to hear the “pre-barfing”, coughing noises.
- You get your dog groomed more often than you get your hair cut.
- Trying to teach your dog a new trick has become your favorite pastime.
- You realize that sitting on command may be the only trick they know, but you show them off either way.
- Your holiday card usually contains a picture of your dog, who may or may not be dressed up for the occasion.
- Your plans for Saturday consist of taking your dog for a run, going to the dog park and going shopping with your dog.
- You know for a fact you have the best dog there is.
Did we miss some of your favorite dog moments as a dog owner? Share them by writing a quick comment below!